You all know how I feel about Valentine's Day if you read my last post. I decided my problem with it was my attitude towards it. Maybe it's me that feels like I have to do those special things and so I do them. Because I have to. Maybe it would help if I did those special things because I wanted to, not to escape feeling guilty if I didn't. Who knows?
It did turn out to be a fun, crazy busy day. First thing in the morning I took our Suburban in to get some body work done. Remember our fender-bender from Thanksgiving? Well, after they got our bumper off they realized there was more damage underneath. Something about absorber bars bent and other car-lingo I didn't understand. All I knew for sure was that I needed a car. So the very helpful people at the body shop contacted our insurance company and lined up getting a rental for us. Can I just tell you how nice it was to have all that done for me? NICE! So within an hour or so we have our rental van from Enterprise. Their commercials are true, they really do pick you up. And drop off your kindergartner at school. And stop by the body shop to get our car seats and garage door opener out of the Suburban. Our rental is a new KIA Sedona, it is so much bigger than the old style of Sedona that we had before our Suburban. Very nice, it almost made me miss my mini-van. I said almost.
After finishing at Enterprise, I raced home to prepare part of my Valentine Dinner. Which was Buttermilk Baked Chicken with Buttermilk mashed potatoes (see, I even had a nice dinner planned. I told you I'm not a complete scrooge!). So now that I had the marinade going and the chicken soaking I was ready to head to Logan's class to help with the party. It was just a quick stop to help the teacher dish up and pass out food. Fourth graders don't need much help with crafts and telling them who their Valentine's are from:) So after Logan's class I went to help in Maika's class. It was the first time I had seen her in action at school. Pretty darn entertaining! The kids thought it was fun and so did I! I figure I better help out as much as I can. Pretty soon Logan will be embarrassed to be seen with me, let alone want me to help out in her class:)
After school, we came home to finish dinner. The kids helped to set the table with a red tablecloth and we even had heart candles (see, I told you I'm not a complete scrooge)! When Kelly came home we ate dinner and had fun laughing at Nalani. Logan kept moving Nalani's chair with her foot under the table. Nalani could not figure out what was going on to save her life! The look on her confused little face was hilarious!
Earlier in the week I bought Kelly a new IPod for his present and I also got him the new John Grisham book. We bought the kids "Mario and Sonic Olympics" for their present. Kelly did not come home empty handed...he got me a gift certificate for an hour massage and a very sweet card. It turned out to be a nice day! Though, I still think it's a weird holiday (in case you were wondering).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
I've tried to remind myself lately that we decide what to make of everything. We have the power to make it good or bad. Might as well make it good it sure is easier!
I knew you really weren't a COMPLETE scrooge =)!
Your day sounded a lot like mine, I just got my car back on Friday they had it for almost 2 weeks also finding more damage than they thought. I also helped in Macy's class. I had a blast hanging out with the kids decorating sugar cookies yummy! Its fun to see who your kids are going to school with and put faces to all of the stories you hear about this or that person. I also had a nice dinner planned and we all just had fun being together with no Ym or basketball games.
What a busy day! Your dinner sounds delicious and I'm sure it was...and what AWESOME gifts!
You totally redeemed yourself from your scroogish comments...even though I agree with you! The hour massage sounds amazing..I'm jealous!
Your day sounds great. Emma didn't have a class party. Do you think that's a little strange? I do.
Sounds like you had a blast, I hope the girls had fun with Reese and cinnamon sticks!
So I think I need to follow your example and maybe I would like the day better. It is so true we as mothers and wifes set the tone in our family. Thanks for making me change my mind and have a better attitude.
oooh, an hour long massage sounds heavenly!!!
I'm glad you had a good valentines day :)
What makes you such a good Mom is that none of your family probably knows that you really don't like V-day that much, but you faked them out and made it such a good day for everyone anyway. It sounds like the day turned out awesome
Hey Brian gave me an hour massage certificate too. I very much enjoyed mine, I hope you enjoy yours! I have also vowed to change my attitude about V-Day!
*Buttermilk baked chicken and mashed potatoes? YUM...I think I NEED that recipe!
*I wish I could have been there to see Nalani's little confused face...sounds hysterical!
*You are definitely NOT a scrooge. Sounds like you had a perfect Valentine's Day. (Good job, Kelly...a massage is a perfect gift!)
I want the recipe for the chicken and potatoes, too! Sounds delicious! Enjoy the massage!
Darn, I really wanted someone to stay "scroogy" with me!
Post a Comment