Friday, February 8, 2008

getting a laugh out of us...

My friend Candy's blog, got me thinking about some of the funny things my kids say and do. I thought I would tell some of the recent things before I forget them.


  • We've recently started to read the scriptures (again) as a family. Sometimes over the chaos Kelly and I give each other looks that say, "Why, exactly are we doing this?!" The kids seem to think Scripture Time is the perfect time to start wrestling matches, tell us everything that their friends said on the way home from school, and just plain craziness! We know that it's important to start this habit while they're still young and that it will get less crazy, but really?

  • As some of you may know, Nalani is obsessed with "The Backyardigans", "Dora the Explorer", and "Diego". I try to limit her TV time, but when I'm getting meals prepaired, or just plain need a break, I usually give in and let her watch. I have to admit she has developed quite the imagination. Some days we have to address her as 'Tasha', 'Uniqua', or 'Dora' and if we forget, believe you me, she reminds us! When she is in character she often gives us names off the shows too. The other night when we were getting ready for scriptures I walked into the room last and Nalani introduced me to her friend, Diego (it was really Kelly). Another day, she was pretending Kelly was Austin (from the Backyardigans). On one of the episodes Austin's character played 'Austin the Smart'. Now, remember Nalani can't say her "S's" very well (think of Sid from Ice Age). So she kept telling us that Kelly was "Austin, the Fart". We all laughed at that one pretty hard!

  • At Family Home Evening it was Nalani's turn to pick a song to sing and she chose "Do as I'm Doing". Bronson must've recognized it from Nursery or something, but he started rolling his arms, or I should say tried to roll his arms. He must not have that coordination yet, because it looked like he was doing a dance with castanets. He had one arm up high with his hand going in circles and his other arm crossed over his stomach, that hand doing circles too. He looked so cute and was so proud of himself.

  • Another Bronson story: He has this funny walk. He always has his left arm behind his back, it must be a balance thing or something. So, now when Bronson is playing chase with Kelly, he squats down really low and puts both of his arms behind his back. He looks like a ski jumper or something.

  • Logan and Maika recently finished serving their hard time of being grounded (for real) for the first time. They had been constantly picking on each other, tattling, teasing, and just plain getting on everyone's nerves! Finally last Sunday, Kelly had had enough and grounded them for 5 days. You would've thought their world ended! Let me tell you, I've never seen them get along as well as I did when they were grounded. We should do it more often:) I overheard them talking and they both apologized to each other for "acting like jerks!" I about busted up laughing, but didn't want to ruin their learning experience:) They are very happy to be free again, and now when we threaten grounding they know we mean business!!
  • 5/10/08-We were watching one of the NBA playoff games and the mascot was jumping through a ring of fire and then dunking the ball. I guess the ring fell over and the floor was slippery during the next few minutes. When we told Logan what happened, she got this puzzled look on her face and asked if they got extra points for jumping through the ring of fire and then dunking it. She totally didn't get the entertainment factor during half-time, so so funny:)
  • 5/19/08- Nalani got sand in her eyes while playing on the beach. She walked over to me with her eyes closed and in a whiny voice said, "Mom, my eyes aren't looking!" After we wiped them out I told her they weren't looking because she had them closed:)
  • The other day one of Maika's little friends (in kindergarten!) called to just talk on the phone. Maika was so funny to listen to, she kept telling all these little white lies to trick the friend. The best one was that we have a parrot named Rainbow and that it repeats back everything we say...We do have a parrot, and it repeats everything that we say, the part she left out was that it's a toy! She had Logan and me busting up:)
  • Bronson gallops wherever he goes!
  • May 2008- On our camping trip while Kelly was chopping fire wood, Maika said, "Wow! Dad, you have a humongous axe!"
  • Nalani had a little ear ache and told me there were shoes in her ears and they were marching. She wanted me to get the shoes out. Poor thing. But it was so cute!

Those are the funny moments that stick out right now. This might have to be one of those posts that I link to and constantly add more to it as experiences happen. Because with four kids, there are bound to be more funnies:)

16 comments:

Shannon b said...

I love the story about Nalani! So I know she also really likes princesses . . . how long do you think it will be before she makes you call her princess Nalani and insists that you bow/curtsy to her everytime you are in her presence?

melandriley said...

You need to start making Nalani say "sammy snake snuck a snicker" apparently it worked for me. I'm going to have to teach Hannah Do as I'm doing, she starts nursery tomorrow. YES!

Autumn said...

I love reading these things! They are so cute when they're little. I really am bad about not following through on the whole grounding thing...I think I'll have to try to be better and maybe it will actually work! Nalani is so cute! "Uniqua" can come over and play with my "Austin" anytime! You gotta love Nick Jr.!

Jana said...

I had to laugh out loud at the Nalani story! She is so cute anyway,but now she's even cuter.

Toshia said...

Cute! I love stories about kids that make you smile.

Anonymous said...

We had to go through the grounding thing with Bailey once, and it was tough to stick to, but at least he now knows that we are serious when we threaten him with it!

Anonymous said...

Dang - you guys are such mean parents - 5 days...wow!! Mean, Dad!!! We used to get grounded...well I never did, I was an angel! Nalani is so dang cute!!! Kelly the Fart - oh so true!

Kelli said...

Your kids are cute!

Lisa said...

Aren't kids great? Keely never got into Dora. One time I asked her why she didn't like it and she was like, "I just don't understand why she has to yell all the time, mom." Amen to that! : )

KerrieLeigh said...

Aundrea-
You have now been tagged. See my blog to find out.

Nicole said...

Kelly as Diego, I guess he could pull that one off :) Wow, your girls were grounded for 5 days??

Jodi said...

The 'fart' thing really makes me laugh! Won't we have so much fun looking back on these stories someday? They are bound to bring us laughter for years to come :)

Rochelle said...

Nalani is perfect in my eyes I love that girl. I love how she calls me Shell.
I just want you to know my kids felt like they were being punished for a week also. Tyler was struggling from Kalauli withdrawls.

Unknown said...

Wow 5 days, was that harder on you or your kids? They sure are cute.

Merilee said...

Your family is so dang adorable! I love all these cute stories.

Marci said...

Kids say and do the darndest things! I need to start writing some things down. We really get a kick out of our kids too. Your kids are so cute. We had a great time at your house. My kids are ready to go back and play!