Was anyone else a member of FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) in high school? I was, but mostly just to go on the 3-day, under-chaperoned trip to Salt Lake City with friends and cute boys.
I think Logan is founding a new club and she's only in the 4Th grade. It's called FEA (Future Entrepreneurs of America). She just started it yesterday, but I only found out about it this morning. While I was in the bathroom applying my makeup she came in and asked how she could earn some extra money. I thought about it and told her she could wash the windows, and if she did a really good job I would pay her $10. She seemed very excited about that, so I said she still had to make sure she did her homework and practiced the piano, and I expected the job to be done up to my standards:)
Well, as I was going around the house this morning opening up all the blinds and letting in the sunlight, I noticed Maika's piggy bank. It was tipped over on it's side with change scattered around it. I knew Maika had a $5 and $1 bill in there because of a recent visit from the Tooth Fairy, and doing an extra hard chore by herself. The cash was mysteriously missing so I called Maika in and asked her where all her money went.
Maika proceeded to tell me that she had to pay Logan back. I knew she owed Logan a dollar or so for a treat from a convenient store, but not five dollars! So, I asked what else she owed money for and she told me, "So I could play with her and Tyler." WHAT THE!!!??? I could immediately feel steam coming out of my ears! Luckily Kelly hadn't left for work yet so I went and told him about it. We both felt so bad for Maika, but she doesn't really understand. Money is only a piece of paper to her. What's the big deal if she gives some to Logan? That way she'll be able to play with the "big" kids. Melanie or Mom: I know I pulled a lot of crap as the oldest child, but did I ever charge Melanie to play with me?? Please refresh my memory.
I think this may have stemmed from a TV program she saw yesterday. It was one of those tear-jerking commercials about feeding the starving children of Africa. Logan and Maika were stunned to see that people in other parts of the world don't have clothes to wear and eat rotten food out of garbage dumps. The program was trying to get people to pledge just $8 a month to feed a child healthy food. So Logan came up to me and told me she had $7.50 and asked if I would call and pay the $8 so a child could eat. It made my heart melt to know that she felt so deeply about it. I told her that when we pay our tithing, we could also donate extra money to other funds that help people like the one's she saw on TV. When we came home from church she informed me that she paid $2.50 to the Humanitarian Aid Fund. I was one proud mama.
So, now we're at a loss as how to discipline Logan. Is her secret desire to save the world, or does she just want more Webkinz? We thought about going to get her out of school and talk to her immediately, but didn't want to upset her at school. We thought about giving Maika a $10 bill at dinner time just for the heck of it, in front of Logan, but think Logan needs to pay her back. We know Logan needs to learn a serious lesson: you can't charge your sister money to play with you!We want to hear her side of the story too. Do any of you out there in cyber-world have suggestions of what to do? Any creative object lessons? Extra-fun ways to punish wayward children? Please, help!
Update: First of all, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Here's how I handled it: I talked to Logan when she got home from school. Her side of the story is that they were starting a club to look for cool rocks and that Maika offered to give her money to buy the pretty rocks. Maika says she offered Logan the money to be able to play. Logan says Maika offered the money so why not take it? Logan immediately gave the money back and wanted everything to go back to normal. All I know for sure is that Maika doesn't understand money. She saw Logan crying and upset and the first thing she did was run in and get the $5 and throw it at Logan to make her feel better. I guess the moral of the story is that Logan now KNOWS that it is unacceptable to take money from Maika in exchange for playing privileges:) It's funny to me what they think we won't find out about, or that they won't get caught. What's scary to me is that we only find out about things that we catch them in...There must be soooo much I don't know:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Being the passive agressive personality that I am -- how about not saying anything, have her clean the windows until they sparkle. Keep checking on her, pointing out missed spots, dirty window tracks, then give her two $5. Then tell her she has to go give one $5 to pay her sister back, and the other $5 she has to give to you for the honor of you hanging out with her while she cleaned the windows and giving her such useful advice. :)
Dang, this is a hard one. I don't know! I like Paige's idea a lot. Good Luck!
Seriously..a hard one! I like Paige's idea (if you can take the drama that will come after)! -Hey I know...let Maika use her toothbrush! :)
p.s. FBLA was totally invented so we could hang out with all of the cute boys on bus trips to SLC!
They say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, but I have to say that the intention here is really important. If she was siphoning money from her little sister to help feed starving children, I would probably feel a lot less compelled to torture her. I do think that Paige's idea is great! I might have her give it all to Maika though...
I remember you playing a couple of jokes on me, but I don't think I ever had to pay you so that I could play with you. Poor Maika, but this will be a classic story when their older. I like your friend Paige's idea also. Good lesson to be learned but I don't envy you the drama later.
Our kids always hate it the most when we punish them by making them be nice to each other, like cleaning each other's rooms. They'd much rather just be grounded.
yikes, that's a hard one! Paige has a good idea. I'd like to know what her reaction is.
And I was also big into FBLA -- our 3-day trips were to L.A., not too many cute boys to speak of, but we got a free trip to Disneyland.
Wow tuff one. My attitude is always to scream and yell and never hear their side of the story and then I feel like a horrible mom. Good Luck.
Just charge her five bucks for dinner tonight. Then have a talk about what kinds of things you can and can't charge $$ for. Then you can give that five bucks back to Maika.
I would also throw in the proud Momma part. Logan does have a sweet little heart.
Sounds like you handled it perfectly. Just the other day I found out that Makenzie offered Heidi a quarter to do all of her laundry for her. Heidi actually did it. I love what goes on around here when I'm out of town!
Oh, the joy of what we get to look forward to! I'm surprised that Maili doesn't charge Max to play with her now, she's pretty sneaky like that! Looks like you handled it perfectly! You're such a great mom! :)
I can't wait to have Maili clean my windows! :)
As Logan's Aunt and Kelly's little sister - Don't get too mad at her!! I am sure Kelly made us pay for a lot of things too when we were little...At least Maika is not selfish with her money...it could be worse...but I think you handled it great...glad you handled it and not Kelly cause then they would both be in trouble...JK...
Wow..It makes me glad my kids are mostly raised. I was at a loss at what to do when you kids were younger, and it hasn't gotten any better. All of your kids a wonderful in my unbiased oppinion. I remember when you and Mel went around the neighborhood trying to sell junk mail. Now I know where Logan gets her motivation of entrepreunering from. Maybe an allowance would help Maika figure out the value of money. It seems like if kids are given an allowance and have to buy their "wants", it can help. As for Logan, she has a tender heart. I'm sure she feels badly about what she did, especially after you explained it to her so she could see just what she did. You and Logan are very much alike in that you are both smart and sensitive, and learn things easily. I'm sure she "got" it, and won't do that again.
Well...it sounds like you handled the situation like a pro! I totally believe that sitting down and having a heart to heart, straight talk kindof a session is the best option...then there is NO grey area. She knows exactly where you are coming from.
I'll be calling you for ALL kinds of advice when my kids get to this stage...you are such a good mom!
Oooh myyy, this was just too fun to read and think about!!! I know that you were truly being serious with your concerns, but seriously, Logan charging her little sister to play with her is so dang funny!!! Of course that is not what she was doing though (per your update) so we have to cut her a little slack :) I think you handled it well, and I'm sure she learned her lesson. These last two posts have again got me thinking about how much I love blogging, because these stories are getting recorded for our children to one day enjoy, AND we get to share all these funnies with our friends!!! Thanks for finally starting a blog :)
Um, yeah I was in the FBLA - and for the same reasons you were!
I'm sorry, I know you felt so bad for Maika but that is one funny story!
I remember when we were growing up Joann used to be able to get money out of anyone for anything. She was always making money off of people so blame it on Jo! Right Jo?
Post a Comment