Thursday, February 14, 2008

Am I Alone Here?

Am I alone here, or does anyone else out there think Valentine's Day is stupid? I think it's stupid that there is a designated day where you have to buy your loved one silly cards, candies, and flowers. If you don't, you risk an argument, and feelings of guilt. I think it's much more thoughtful and romantic when Kelly comes home with flowers, suggests we go out to eat, or leaves me a love note, voice mail, or email just for the heck of it. Not because he'll feel guilty if he doesn't come up with something because he has to. Because it's stupid Valentine's Day!

Let's face it. Valentine's Day has turned more into a kids holiday anyway. It's fun to have heart-shaped pancakes in the morning. It's fun to eat with fancy dishes. And what's not to like about getting more presents? Christmas was soooo long ago! They get excited about decorating boxes to receive cards in, classroom parties, and all that candy! (By the way, does anyone else think those old-fashioned conversation hearts are disgusting?) Kids are the only reason I do like Valentine's Day. Kids and good chocolate. I'm excited to help out with Logan's and Maika's parties and to see them interact with their friends and teachers.

Don't get me wrong. I'm going to take the opportunity to get mushy on this post (smooth segue, huh?). I love Kelly and my kids more than anything! I love that we can spend time together without having to fill every second with noise or people. I love that we are home bodies. I love that we can spend an entire Saturday watching "Lonesome Dove." I love that we can laugh at the cute things our kids say and do. I love that Kelly listens to me while I complain about the swimming pool Nalani made in our dishwasher door. I love that he calls me several times during the day just to say hi. I love that we always say, "I love you" when we are getting off the phone with each other. I love you, Kelly! I love you, Logan! I love you, Maika! I love you, Nalani! I love you, Bronson!

I guess what I'm trying to say, is, I want my family to know I love them every day. I'm trying harder to show my love for them in my actions. I want to speak kinder, smile more, and exercise patience. In doing these things, I hope my family will feel more of my love. Everyday.

Any way, there's my little rant for the day. What do all of you out there in lovey-dovey world think? Am I just being a scrooge? Or did I hit the nail smack-dab in the middle of the head?

*Kelly, please note: This post in no way excuses you to come home empty handed tonight!:)

25 comments:

Rochelle said...

You Valentine Scrooge. J/K! I love your list of loves! I should follow suit...

But for the main purpose of your post,I agree, sort of. I think people rush life so much that they need a specific day to stop them in their tracks and do something a little more extravagent.

I love Jeremy's random specials acts of LOVE and this means more to me than celebrating a day. But maybe if we embraced this day and really put all of the love into it for our man and the kids it would be worth it. One day set aside from the craziness of life to really focus on our LOVE.

Im not one to make this day special but Im thinking I might. I might stop and take a moment...

Unknown said...

I think Valentines Day is stupid also. I feel grouchy, let down and I just hate it. Ty is not much of a romantic and I am always let down, I don't know why he does try and do nice things but it just makes me mad. One year along time ago he bought me mums for Valentines Day and I cryed and cryed. I think I would like him to think about it instead of going to the grocery store and picking the first think he sees. You think after 14 years it would be better I am affaid it never will. Don't get me wrong I lve the man. I am just rambling but I hate Valentines Day.

Marci said...

You are so funny. I agree 100%. I don't even do anything for Brian anymore. He bought a CD the other day and I said "happy valentines day!" That's about how our valentines day goes every year. But the kids do love it, and I try to do a little something for them. So I am a scrooge also, maybe I should try a little harder to make it a day to focus on LOVE! Maybe I will try to get the house clean today. He loves a clean house more than anything!

Lisa said...

All I have to say is Amen!

Autumn said...

I'm with Lisa...Amen! I feel like this every year on Valentines Day...the only thing that ever makes the day are all of the things the kids look forward to. Pink heart shaped waffles, school parties...and yes, even those obnoxious valentine boxes! I think every day should be Valentines day! xoxo

marcia said...

For me...V-day has turned into single awareness day. Loved your blog. Look up tiffs @ tiffandclay.blogspot.com. love ya! mom

Jenni said...

I couldn't agree with you more...
And those conversational hearts are so DISGUSTING, I just don't get it!
But, See's candies, now were talkin'...

candace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KerrieLeigh said...

I have always disliked Valentine's Day. My wedding anniversary is too close, so we don't celebrate it as a couple anyway. Trying to figure out one meaningful gift is hard enough. But I do agree with everyone else, I love it for the kids. They always look forward to getting Valentines from friends.

Jen said...

I agree with you! Every year we tell each other not to buy each other anything. This year we did the same thing. I was excited though when Rob bought me a card (and chocolate) I don't care, but the chocolate, but the card is nice. I liked it more since we were not going to get anything for each other. I did have fun with my kids getting their cards ready for the class parties and YES I HATE though candy hearts candy they are disgusting!!!

Michelle said...

I'm with you for the most part, but I must confess that I love those little hearts! It must be a nostalgia thing.

Marie said...

I got a good laugh out of your post!
I'm one of the lucky ones, like you, who gets calls or emails from my husband on regular days and we always say "I love you" also...Jeff has always made a point to do something for the girls on Valentine's day so I enjoy how in love my girls are with their dad and how they anticipate what he will come up with each year! I suppose for the ones who don't take that opportunity or who aren't as open with their feelings Valentine's day is a good way to have an excuse to show their feelings, but for lots of teenagers it just makes them feel bad for not having a Valentine...but I'd be just fine without Valentine's Day.
Ya know, I really could do without Halloween!

Darilyn said...

I have to give the counter opinion here. I love Valentines day. And it's not because my husband brings me flowers or chocolate or something in a little blue box. Because he doesn't do any of those things. But it gives me a chance to plan something special for him. And sometimes he does do something special for me on that day and I'm surprised and I love it. I just don't think of it as HAVING to do something. I want to. If I didn't want to then I probably wouldn't. I also love seeing my girls get so excited about choosing just the right valentine for their classmates and making a special card for their teacher. It's a great day to show gratitude and doesn't need to be anything extravagant. Maybe someone's gift for Valentines could be a simple I love you or let me do those dishes. I love those kind of gifts immenseley, which is what you mentioned in your post. I'll get off my Valentines day sugar high now. By the way, i just got home from seeing 27 Dresses. Have you seen it? I LOVED it.

Kayela said...

I don't like Valentine's day either but I do love the little hearts. JJ and I decided a long time ago that we were not going to do anything on Valentine's. I told him do not waste money on flowers for me. If you want to spend money on flowers just give me the money I would enjoy that more. He actually had to go to Roundtable last night (of all the nights it could have been) so he was not even home. We have also kind of adopted this at Christmas. I told him if I want to buy something I am going to buy it and use it and not wait around until Christmas to get it. JJ does little things all the time to let me know that he loves me and I also do things for him. I guess we are just big scrooges.

melandriley said...

I told you on the phone that I didn't like Valentine's Day, but we did have fun. I made a nice dinner for the family, then we went downstairs and watch American Idol and Lost. I had to help in Macy's class party, we had a good time.

Jodi said...

You totally kill me...I love your honesty! Everyone is sick at our house so Valentine's day this year was a big bummer. I tried to recreate the party that Ben missed on Saturday, where they made these darling bracelets ;) so we did a heart hunt, a scavenger hunt and a few other little fun things...but it lacked luster because of all our snotty noses and hacking coughs!
I have to say I much prefer getting flowers from Jamie 'just because' on some random day than on Valentine's Day. It's the little things that occur day-to-day that let me know how much my husband loves me.

Jodi said...

Ben missed his party at preschool on Wednesday...not Saturday! Lack of sleep. Does it to me everytime!

Lisa said...

You have such a great "voice" when you write. It's like I can hear you saying those things! Loved your post, right on as usual, but nonetheless, I never mind a day of the year where I am guaranteed a little extra lovin' :)

Merilee said...

Hmmm? I have mixed feelings on the subject. I don't like the pressure of having to be all lovey, but I always like a good excuse to go out with my husband.

Jana said...

No, you are not alone, Aundrea. Dan totally agree's with you. But he know's better than to come home empty handed too, LOL. Your little side note at the bottom cracked us up!

Nicole said...

My complaint about Valentines Day is that they charge you $5.99 or more for a card! What a rip off!!

Lorna said...

Hmmmm...definitely agree on the candy hearts, they taste like alkaselzer tablets with nice words on them. Never saw the charm in those. But I don't mind another excuse to celebrate being with Eric. Not because we're madly in love all the time, but more because we need those times away to remember how happy and compatible we can be together, because life is draining, ya know? We started trading off who plans valentine's so there no let down. It works great-I recommend doing it that way.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, those hearts aren't so tasty in my opinion, but the day itself doesn't bother me so much now that I have kids to plan it around. And Todd and I do try and take the time to be more lovey, which is always a nice thing, too. We have some fun traditions that I enjoy. But I do have a problem with how the day is so heavily "marketed and advertised". I think that's what really annoys me about the day. It can be overwhelming, and the kids see all this stuff and think that it's another Christmas or something. But if you keep it simple and take the time to just enjoy each other in whatever way is fun for you, it can be a special day. But I do agree that flowers on a day where you are not trained to "expect" them is always much more exciting...those are the moments that mean so much more to me!

Candy said...

I have to say Valentines Day is one of my favorite holidays. I can't explain it but I love the extra attention Dave gives all of his girls. I love hearts! Having a special day set aside to show love gives me the boost I need to get to spring. Yes, I agree to say it all the time and we do but knowing everyone, every where is loving makes me feel good. OK - I like to think everyone everywhere is loving - call me a girl who see the glass half full;)

The Baker Bunch said...

YOu have made some very great points about Valentine's Day. Sometimes I think it was created just as a reminder that we need to remember to express our love. I think we get busy and caught up in the day to day toils of life and it reminds us to stop and refocus our priorities. Just like mother's day and father's day. If we could use these days as "reminders" and then do better to appreciate more the rest of the year. You are awesome and help me to see things differently. Thanks!
I do like the white conversational hearts!