Wednesday, September 3, 2008

After school

Today "the babies" and I were waiting out on the lawn watching for Maika to come walking around the corner. We were so excited to see how her first day of school went. She walked home with Hayden and so I asked how their first day went. Hayden said, "Awesome!" Maika said, "Not too good. My teacher was acting like a total Psycho!" When I asked why, she told me that she was screaming at a girl to put her chair away and that it made Maika jump.

I have to admit that I was a little worried when I found out who her teacher was. I remember helping in Maika's kindergarten class and hearing this particular teacher screaming at some kids from clear across the hall. I just tried to play it off and tell Maika that she better always listen, so she wasn't the one getting yelled at. I also asked if hearing a screaming mad woman made her homesick for me...She said, "No! You are way nicer than my teacher!" Good answer, Maika:)

So does anyone have advice or know of this teacher? She's a first grade teacher. Her name starts with a "D".

Logan, on the other hand loved her teacher. She came home chomping at the bit to do her homework! She said she had a blast doing the crossing guard. Mostly because she got out 10 minutes early. She got her calculator out and added up all the pages in her chapter books because they have to read 3,000 pages this year. I told her to start reading the Harry Potter books. She wasn't too excited about that because she says "they're boring!" Whatever. She is a good reader, but doesn't love to read. She would much rather run around outside, than sit quietly reading a book. I can't blame her, she's a kid! But, hopefully this year, she'll develop a little more love of reading.

This morning went well again. Hopefully we are all this chipper by the end of May:)

18 comments:

Paige said...

Oooh, I think Grayson had Mrs D and it was BAD. Talk to Michelle. Glad Logan had a great day, though!

Lisa said...

Man, teachers make all the difference in the world, don't they?

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....I'm thinking I know who you are talking about, we should chat. If it is who I'm thinking than I wouldn't be too worried, because our experience ended up quite positive, so there is hope :)

Gina said...

I haven't really heard too much about Mrs. D, but don't really know anything about her other than one of my neighbors watches her little boy. Grayson didn't have Mrs. D, he had Mrs. L, who is much worse.

Darilyn said...

If you have legitimate concerns Aundrea, and it sounds like you do, then make an appointment with the principal and you and kelly go in and talk to him/her. Whenever I have had concerns about a teacher that don't get resolved by talking it out with people that have had FIRST hand experience with them I have done this and it has always worked out and made me feel much better. And if there are ever teachers that you don't want your children to have then you can write a letter and have the secretary put that in their permanent file at the school.

Merilee said...

Oh my word, you crack me up! I love the homesick comment. Hope everything goes well with the teacher. My advice to Maika is Lay Low.

Michelle said...

I feel your pain! I vividly remember how bad last fall was with Grayson having a bad teacher (Mrs L.). I would make 2 suggestions, 1) express any concerns to the teacher (either in person or in writing) right away and 2) go observe in the class, even just for 1/2 an hour. I'd do these things right away, because if things get worse (or continue to bug her), and you decide you want the school to do something about it, the principal is going to require that you've done those things, BEFORE she's willing to get involved. Good Luck, I hope today was better!

Candy said...

I was glad when they came home too! They looked so grown up walking together and being very responsible. I am glad the girls can all be such good friends:)

sheila said...

I watched Mrs. D's kids for a few years and I don't really know that side of her. I know her as a mom, but not as a teacher. I will happily run the Hood to Coast with you! That has always been one of my goals, but I have always been pregnant or nursing, but I won't be doing either by then!

melandriley said...

Macy's first grade teacher was pretty harsh. Macy said she liked her so I didn't really do anything about it. I also helped in the class 2 hrs a week so I got to observe often. If Maika lays low she will probably be just fine. If she starts getting noticed I would take action fast. Nothing worse than a bad teacher.

I can't believe Logan is in 5th grade. She is getting too big too fast.

Shannon b said...

all of the girls look so cute & happy coming home from their first day - almost glowing! It's so fun to see that excitement of the first week.
*sorry about the teacher thing . . . I like Maika's comment though -- "you are way nicer." :)

Autumn said...

So funny that you asked Maika if her teacher yelling made her homesick for you! :) My kids have had a few meanish teachers...I don't deal well with the whole yelling thing, but I think on the first day a lot of teachers put on their mean face to earn the respect of the kids. If it doesn't get better maybe you should go in and talk to her. Glad Logan had a great day!

Amber said...

I had a misunderstanding with Syd's teacher last year on day 2, and I wrote a very severe letter and I'm so glad I did because it opened it up so that we could talk out issues the rest of the year knowing how the other felt.

Jodi said...

Well, it looks like you got a lot of great advice already so I will just say this...any teacher who is yelling on day one, ummmm, I'd be nervous about. AND...give Maiki a great big hug for me. Poor kid. I'm sure this is not what she expected out of her first day of school.

Tiffini said...

I am with Jodi--yelling on day 1?? Cut the little kids some slack! I also agree with Michelle talk to the teacher and go observe so that you can make a change request quickly if necessary or help change the situation soon.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I am sorry you are having to deal with a yeller already. I hope it all works out. Glad Logan is one of those cute crossing guards, she will be wonderful at greeting everyone with a smile.

Shay said...

Wow, I would send your daughter to school with some "calming" herbal tea...like chamomile or lavender, for her teacher. She could say it was a gift to start the year of right....(I don't really have any other ideas...I hope things work out ok. Having a good teacher makes all the difference.

Marie said...

Not sure who Mrs. D is but Caylin's 1st grade teacher wasn't a good match for her and by the end of the month I had insisted on change...good luck...glad it worked out for Logan!