My little Maika...what can I say? The girl just can't get enough of me. Who knew she thought I was so cool? This past week has been pretty tough for our first grader. Every morning she wakes up and almost immediately, the tears start. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what the problem is and have come up with a few ideas. - She is not a morning person. She went to afternoon preschool and kindergarten. This is the first year she's had to get up and going so early. The poor kid is tired!
- She misses the security of having Logan around all the time.
- She misses being able to come and go as she pleases. I wouldn't see her all day long during the summer. But, at least she knew that if she wanted to she could come home. She feels stuck at school.
- She is/was afraid of her teacher or some Duty Aides at school.
We tried coming up with a few solutions as well. The first day she cried at school, the teacher called me to talk about it. Maika told her she felt sick and wanted to come home. Mrs. D. thought it was just homesickness and wanted to make sure. When Maika got home that day I asked her about it. She said, "I just got these feelings that I wanted to come home." Aw, that made me feel so bad for her, but I also knew I couldn't lose this fight!
The next morning was BAD. A full hour of tears and tummy aches, and I still made her go to school. I was throwing all sorts of ideas at her. I finally let her wear my ancient ID bracelet that my little sister gave me for one of my long ago birthdays. It has my name engraved on it, so I told Maika she could wear it and when she got sad she could remember that I love her and want her to be happy at school. That got her to at least stop crying and out the door. I also told her that we could make cookies together after school if she was brave. It worked!
Until the next morning. Then we came up with the sticker plan. I also called and talked to her teacher. We had a very good conversation. She told me that even when Maika was crying she was still doing her work and being a good student. It made me feel a lot better after talking to her teacher; now we are both on the same page and being supportive of each other. Now, when Maika has a good day, her teacher sends home a sticker that she can show me. Then, Maika gets to put a sticker on our calendar and at the end of the week, if she has all stickers.....drumroll....a trip to "Dollar Tree"! This might be the best dollar I've ever spent:) Now, we've had three days in a row of very little or no tears before school and NO tears during school. Yay! I hope it goes as well or even better next week! It broke my heart to make her go to school when she was so miserable, even though it secretly made me feel good to know she missed me during the day:)
17 comments:
I'm happy to hear the tears are coming to an end- hopefully Rowan will do the same soon!
Both of my kids did this when they started first grade...it's a long day for a little guy!! You are such a good Mom! Don't you just love that she is missing you all day, even if it is heart breaking?! So glad that you're getting along with the teacher...maybe you guys can have a great year after all! Poor Maika...hope she get's some good dollar tree loot to cheer her up!
Sounds like you have some good plans in place! I hope she stays tear free!
P.S. My mom will atest to the fact that I cried and had a tummy ache before school every day for the first couple of weeks until high school...I have always been such a mommy's girl!! ...how embarrassing... :)
How sad! Sounds like you are doing everything you can to make her feel better. A lot of parents don't even take the time to talk to the teacher, so I'm sure that will make a huge difference for her (and you) throughout the year.
You are so awesome - I would not have thought of the bracelet. I saw it when she was doing piano - She is such a sweet girl, I know with time she will get used to the whole day at school thing - Dollar tree- another good idea - I would have promised something much more expensive not realizing the Dollar tree was just as good at this age -you do a great job!!!!!
what a good mom you are!! the best feeling ever is when your kids need you, but maybe the worst is when they cry.
ps backyardigans rule.
I hope she cheers up soon! I need someone to wag my tail at through my big window in the mornings! I miss her! You tell her that!
You are such a good mom. The ID bracelet was brilliant and the sticker thing is great too. I have a question though, is this the same teacher you were apprehensive about? She sounds like she is very easy to work with and that things are going well.
How sweet of you to give her your bracelet. Seriously, that's a special memory right there. You are such a good mom. I hope school gets easier on her, and I'm sure it will :)
Giving the bracelet to Maika was such a sweet idea. It reminds me of the book "The Kissing Hand" when little racoon goes off to school for the first time. His mama kisses his hand and tells him whenever he was missing her all he needed to do was put his hand up to his cheek and he would feel his mama giving him kisses. Sweet.
You are such a good mom!!
I am sorry that Maike has been having such a hard time, but it is kind of nice to know that you are missed and loved.
I love the dollar store. I tell my kids that we can go there, and they can pick out anything they want...they think that's pretty cool. Cute little Maika.
What a sweet idea to let her wear your bracelet. I hope she feels better.
Sweet little Maika. You're such a good mom. I love your ideas and it sounds like everything is going to work out just fine. Miss you guys. love, your mom
Poor Maika...Call Aunty Nani...she will come get you from school!!! Be brave...school is cool!! Next week you should cry again and tell your mom the Dollar Tree just isn't going to cut it anymore...try Toys-R-Us next week....
It's a big scary world out there so I don't blame her for being home sick. I hope she is over the worst of it!
Post a Comment