(Just one of the MANY photos we have of Nalani with the "paci" stuck in her face.)While we were in Utah we lost all three of the pacifiers we packed for Nalani. She did surprisingly well. I kept telling her what a big girl she was and that I would buy her a treat for not sucking on her pacifiers anymore. She's been wanting what she calls a princess mirror (a princess vanity set) for a long time, so I told her she could get one when we got home.
On the drive from SLC to Monticello she got pretty upset about something and wanted her pacifier. I had secretly kept one for such an emergency hidden in my purse. I handed it back to her and asked if she wanted a princess mirror or her "paci". She held the "paci" in her hand and looked at it, then sadly handed it back to me and said she wanted the princess mirror. I was so proud of her, because she was really given the choice!
The other day Kelly took Nalani to Wal-Mart to get the princess mirror, but they were out so he came home with a much smaller and cheaper version. It was even better because she didn't really understand the difference:) She was excited no matter what!
Well, on Friday I came down stairs to find Nalani on the couch sucking on a pacifier. She had found it in the treasure trove of the couch cushions. Darn them! Now we had to start all over again. She was sad for a few minutes, but hasn't asked for one since. Hopefully we've gotten rid of all of the stash now and I really, truly have a big girl now. I have to say that I really am proud of her. A pacifier has been her source of comfort for her whole life and now she has given it up. I'm sure that's hard for a 3-year old. Good job Nalani!
20 comments:
Dang! That is a tough one. I am really impressed with her having to make a choice and doing it.
I keep telling Thatcher we are going to have to cut off another thumb if he keeps sucking it.
That is such a milestone. Good for her.
Speaking from experience... this was probably as traumatic for you as it was for her! What a big girl! Jace is 5 and sometimes I still wish he had that dang thing!
That gives me hope that Olivia won't need one forever. I have already tried reducing the amount of times that she has it. For the most part she only gets it at nap and bed time, but when she finds one (in a couch cushion or one that has fallen under her bed) she is resistant to giving it up. She doesn't have a whole lot of reasoning yet, but, hopefully by the time she is three we can be done with it!
Kudos to Nalani for being sucha big girl!
Yeah for Nalani, and Yeah for mom. That is a tough thing to break them of. That must be a pretty sweet princess mirror to give up the paci for. :0)
What a big girl! I have to admit...I will miss seeing her with a paci in her mouth :)
Megan was our pacifier girl! When she was 3 I kept trying to "lose" it - but she was relentless at searching for it - so we finally had to have a talk about how she needed to give it up - not good for teeth, big girl, etc. I told her that she could be sad and cry for a while if she wanted...she did and eventually got over it! (Then, when she was 5, she found one at Grandma's and had to try it out...) Good job, Nalani, for moving on!
I was in the car and witnessed this event...it was very impressive to see a cute little 3 yr old, paci junkie, make an incredibly difficult choice. Way to go Nalani...Grandma loves you and is proud of you!
That is great. Sometimes I think it is harder for the parents. It is great that you gave her the choice.
Have any tips on where to hide your boobs...wish they could hide in the couch cushions! (yes, I am still trying to ween Alema)! That was a cute post! It is funny how you want your kid off a paci and I want my kid on one!!
What a big girl!!! I seriously believe that giving up one of their first comforts (like nursing/bottles/thumb/paci)is waaay harder than they get credit for. Way to be for understanding how hard it is for her, and for helping her through it! You're a good mommy :)
At least it was a pacifier and not her thumb. She could have been oh....I don't know 12 before she gave that one up. Good luck with Bronson and that one.
That is such a hard moment! Cameron wasn't able to talk when we took it from him, but we did explain it to him and he just looked at us and cried! He so understood what was happening:(
Paige was a total pacifier addict. I can remember the mad "binkie" hunts we would have in out house to get her to stop crying! It was a nightmare, good luck with this whole thing!
Love her! It was so fun to have you guys in Utah! Wish you were closer! Thanks for sarting us all on the blog!
Nalani, Auntie Jennie will sneak you a pacifier!!! (Aunties can be naughty like that!) Love you guys.
Aww, that was a such a cute story. What a big girl! I wish it was a paci that Olivia was attached to when she was little! (I'll have to tell you that story later)LOL.
Rochelle, don't even waste your time trying to wean Thatcher from his thumb right now. Kyle and Trask are 11 and they both still do it!
Tell her Candy will have something for her when I get back from the beach! She really is such a big girl now, I remember when we moved here - I am so glad she is Autumn's friend - I love your story and remember when Paige found one in the couch as well and it was a few days before I could lose it again. Maybe that is what Paige needs again -should I try it?:)
I'm already thinking about breaking Ben of the binki habit...not going to be fun!
She is one PRECIOUS girl! I think Maili would love one of those vanities, too!
Post a Comment