The year I was born "Rocky" won the Oscar for Best Picture. Can you believe that?!! Not that I don't absolutely love those movies but, it must've been a slow movie year...Well, when I got a little older, like 3 or 4 years old "Rocky II" came out. I heart Rocky! We had the sound track on record and I remember laying on the couch pretending that I was Adrian, sick in the hospital after she had their baby. I had a big poster of Sly in my room too. I think that's a bit extreme for a 4-year old. Oh well.Now-a-days I have my very own Rocky. His name is Bronson. 50% of the time he's getting ready to hit Someone or Something. The other 50% of the time he just finished hitting Someone or Something! If he trips on the stairs he gets mad and hits the stairs. If you take something away from him he hits you. If he falls off the bar stool he hits the bar stool. It doesn't matter if he's happy, sad, tired, silly, or mad, whatever mood he's in he still hits! The picture is proof. I was trying to get one of them hugging, but he decided to take a swipe at Nalani instead. Last night he fell asleep in my arms and it was so nice and peaceful to hold a sweet little boy that isn't constantly trying to knock me out.
I'm new to the whole being-the-mom-of-a-boy thing, but is this behavior normal? We try to teach him to be "nice" and "soft" and he's good about it for a few minutes and then it's back to hitting! Do any of you have some pointers for me? Will he grow out of this? Please say, "yes!"
I guess, for now, I'll have to pull out my collection of Rocky movies and watch them with the future Heavy Weight Champion of the World. Bronson Balboa. And as sad as it may sound, I still love those movies! What makes a better movie than watching Rocky get beat up, train really hard in the Russian wilderness and then kick Ivan Drago's butt? Not much.
17 comments:
Welcome to the life of boys! ;)
I don't think its just a boy thing. Hannah is so into hitting right now its annoying. The other day I was holding her so her back was to me, she was mad at me and kept back handing me in the face. I was getting so mad. It hurts even from a 1 1/2 year old.
I only have hormones at my house!
Definitely a boy thing! ...on a happy note...he will grow out of it! :) I wonder what it is that makes them prone to violence?? Must be a "special" gene...
We haven't reached the hitting phase yet, but we have reached the "destroy everything in his path while laughing like a maniac." That stage is scary enough.
I don't know if it is a boy thing, but Cameron doesn't hit much. He has started to do it more often and he is getting in MAJOR trouble for it (mainly because it is often at his little brother). I hope they both grow out of it soon because it is just sooo frustrating.
Remi has a lot of built up anger with Avrie because we would never let him hit her back when they were younger. It is probably better to let Bronson get it out now when he can't do as much damage than when he gets older. I think little boys just have to feel like they are the boss, cause we all know that changes later in life. :)
my parents also had the rocky soundtrack . . . . good times.
The hitting thing. Well we just tried to nip it in the bud when they were younger (immediate, big punishments) and now, it's been ages since we've had to deal with that one.
Good luck!
Just think about this when he's accepting the honors of being the Heavyweight Champion of the World! They always start with, "I'd like to thank my mom..." Then he can buy you a phat new ride!
Ethan used to hit things when he ran into them. I think some of it is a boy thing, some of it is personality and some of it is just venting frustration. Zach is our big frustration hitter. It has been a challenge with no easy answers. In fact, he hit someone today--in his defense they had just whacked him in the head with the zipper of their coat and he has a welt to prove it. Hang in there.
I love the Rockey Movies. He is just a boy, good luck!
Yep, it's all normal! As far as advice goes, you just have to decide how big of a deal it is for you, and if you really want it to stop than you'll have to try and put an end to it now because as they get older it just gets harder, that's for sure! We have always been really big on the "no hitting" rule, and have tried our best to enforce it even when other kids are hitting too, but they still have that natural tendency to be more aggressive. He's still pretty little, so it's hard to really give any consequences that he will understand, so good luck with that! He sure is a cutie though :)
I missed out on the boys when they were this age, but based on life with my brothers it can be a boy thing. Noah was a hitter! The worst of the 3. He has grown out of it now (for the most part, I think his pillow still gets abused sometimes!) Goode luck!
Loved the post - especially the "bronson balboa" - you are so witty! :) Boys are curious creatures, that's for sure!
Ohhhh, you were so in love with Rocky. You would lay on the bed and listen to the "Rocky" music, pretending to be Adrianne. The funniest part was the look on your face...it was the best! Now you have your very own Rocky.
I can't tell you how relieved I am to read this...I have seriously been wondering what in the heck is wrong with my "Mister". We just went to the park today and he was constantly beating up the other kids - to the point where the other parents were getting very annoyed! And I know they were looking at me like, "What in the heck is wrong with your kid?" I have no idea what to do. And NOW that I have a kid that is a bully, I will be much more empathetic with other parents who have kids with similar "problems". I am worried that noone is going to want him around. And I so don't want that! How do you discipline your "Rocky"? HELP!
YES!!! totally normal, however I have to admit that my boys have never been big hitters. They enjoy a love hate relationship...most of the time they love eachother, but when they don't oh boy get the gloves out! Funny thing is though that as I type this Calvin is begging to watch Enchanted. heehee.
Post a Comment