Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Reunions

Can I just say that I love the blogging world? I wonder why I was so hesitant to start one...it must be because I'm a little bit rebellious and like to go against the flow instead of with it. That said, I'm so happy I started one. Although I love keeping in touch with my local friends, I get to see and talk to you on a pretty regular basis. In the past few weeks I feel like I've had a mini high school reunion and a mini family reunion. It is so much fun to get reconnected to these friends and stay close with my family since we don't live near them any longer!

FAMILY REUNION:

My little sister, Melanie started a blog a few weeks ago, then Kelly's little sister, Nani started one, and then my long-lost cousin, Jenni found my blog and we get to keep in touch now. There is a funny story about how I met Jenni...Last year when Kelly and I went to Arizona to watch the Fiesta Bowl, we knew we were staying at our brother-in-law's cousin's house. I felt a little weird about it because I'd never met them, but decided to make the best of it. At breakfast the first morning I noticed Jenni's maiden name on a piece of paper. I told her that my mom had relatives with that last name and then told her some of the last names that I was related to. She told me that her grandma's maiden name was the same as my grandparents last name. Then I said that my grandpa had a sister named Mary. Long story short, we figured out that her grandma and my grandpa are brother and sister, that our parents went to high school together and that our moms were in the homecoming court together, and to top it off she married my brother-in-law's cousin. Needless to say, it was so much fun to find out that we were related, and I didn't feel one bit weird about staying at a stranger's house after that:) It was really fun to get to meet her parents and get everyone caught up on everyone else's lives!

HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE REUNION:

Now, on to my high school reunion. I've known Autumn has had a blog for awhile, but now Jenny, KerrieLeigh, Kayela, and Lisa all have one. We all grew up in good ol' Blanding, Utah. It is a very small town in the south east corner of Utah. When I say small town I mean small! When I lived there, the population was probably 4500 people or so, no stop lights (just one 4-way stop sign on Main street), one grocery store, no fast-food chains...you get the picture. That said, I loved growing up there! We had so much fun figuring out ways to get into trouble, and entertain ourselves. I have fun memories of each of these girls. My freshman year in college I roomed with Kayela and Lisa, it was a blast! We had Tetris tournaments on GameBoys just to make one of our other (clogging on the entry-way, speaks in sign language when she isn't deaf and expects you to understand her, tantrum throwing) roommates mad (hopefully she doesn't come across this post!), we also scared the you-know-what out of this same roommate one night when she was walking home from a neighbor's house and we were hiding in the bed of a truck in the parking lot. We jumped out and she got so scared, she ran into the house and locked us all out for a LONG time. It was snowing outside, but we kept warm because we were laughing our butts off about the look on her face...it still makes me giggle even as I'm typing this!

It's also fun to see what time has brought to each of our lives. Where we live, who we married, how many kids we have, what we look like, etc. My favorite part of getting reconnected is that we are all grown-ups now. There is none of the high school drama and we still pick up like we've been talking to each other for years. So if there are any "lurkers" out there who went to high school with me (Candace, Stephanie, Storm, and anyone else) leave a message on my blog and start a blog of your own! They are so much fun and a great way to keep in touch!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I have loved blogging and getting back in touch with every one. I was thinking when we were kids and we would prank call at your house. Those were the days when people didn't have caller id.
I noticed Candace post hay get a blog going.

Sorry for those of you that aren't from Blanding it is pretty unique.

Jenni said...

I still can't believe that you stayed at our house and we didn't even know we were related...that was so cool!
I too was hesitant about starting a blog, but I'm so glad I did! :) It's one of my daily rituals that I look forward to - some adult interaction! And a way for us to keep in touch! Have a great day, Aundrea! :)

KerrieLeigh said...

I didn't realize how much I missed everyone until I started blogging. I also was a little hesitant and now I love it.

Kayela said...

I loved reading about our memories in college and our fun room mate. One of my best memories was the night we scared the crap out of her. Just like you I am laughing as I read it. Blanding is a great place. I feel very fortunate to be able to still live here. I am so glad I have friends like you. I think true friends are just what you said that we can pick up and talk like no time has passed.

Kelli said...

I like blogging, it is great to keep up with old friends!

Anonymous said...

Too bad we can't get everyone else in my family to start one...I am totally addicted...I have to keep myself from writing twice a day..people will think I don't do anything all day. I really don't but I want to pretend to be busy. Love you guys!!

Darilyn said...

What fun times. I loved hearing about all of that.

Toshia said...

sounds like you were a little angel growing up...and I always thought you were more like that woman who showed up to Bunco last October :)

candace said...

I am working on getting a blog going. I just need a few minutes to myself which doesn't happen very often. Aundrea, Shay talks about our trip and meeting you and the girls all the time. His brothers were so jealous he got to play the Wii. He had so much fun and wants to go back again. Maybe I can talk Dave into taking a road trip.

Rochelle said...

I loved your post! And I always love hearing about your clogging roommate.
I am hoping more of our family takes this up. I know Jeremy gets on and reads all the old high school girls blogs. It is neat for him to see where and what they are all doing now.

melandriley said...

apparently I don't leave as many comments as I should, so I'll leave one long one. Bronson is a cutie pie, but you need to keep an eye on all these women in your neighborhood that want him as a son in law. Your snow fall is weak. We have so much snow in Midway. Probably about 4 ft. I also have had fun finding old friends from all of your contacts. They all have a brother or sister about my age.

Jodi said...

I think it is so great that you have been able to reconnect with so many friends through blogging. I loved hearing about your roommate story...made me giggle, too and I wasn't even there :)

Lisa said...

I was laughing so hard when I read this; I'm glad you have a way better memory than me and you can remind me of our adventures!

Nicole said...

That's cool how many high school friends you have been reunited with. Most of my H.S. friends use Myspace and I don't like Myspace so I don't check in on them.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Nicole, I wish more of my friends and family had blogs instead of myspace. I had to start a myspace account just to read all of theirs, and I was quickly scared away by the sorts of things one must be exposed to in order to do the myspace thing. It was *not* for me. But blogging is such an incredible expresive way to connect and reach out to others, let alone just keep an amazing family history that we otherwise probably wouldn't be. I'm so happy to be blogger, and I'm so happy that you are one, too :)

Autumn said...

It was so fun to catch up on all of your posts! I love blogging! It has been so much fun to get to know you better! You are an amazing person and I love reading about your little family!

Anonymous said...

Aundrea, I couldn't believe it when I stumbled onto your blog tonight. I have a personal blog, but am thinking about creating one that I can share with friends and family, Your blog is too cute. I don't think I have seen you since we graduated, it sounds like you have some cute kids. Send me an email, and we can catch up! Cari (Spillman) Kartchner kartch5@gmail.com