I just got the disturbing news that Kraft Foods will no longer be making Postum. I'm so sad! Thank Heaven (literally) for the Word of Wisdom, otherwise I would probably be spending a small fortune at Starbucks.Postum is one of my comfort foods. I remember my mom making it for me in the mornings, or after playing out in the snow. I always liked mine with a lot of sugar and some evaporated milk. I still like to drink a mug when I feel like a treat, or I sit down to read a book...it's just one of those things that make me feel comfy and cozy.
Now, I know some of you out there are thinking I'm either crazy, or a sinner, and probably think it's disgusting, but I LOVE it! If my grandparents can drink it, I can drink it (that's what I keep telling myself). Now I find out that if I want some, I have to buy it on EBay. Are you kidding me?! When Utah got the news, people were literally storming the grocery stores and stocking up like it's a necessary item on their Year Supply list! So, if any of you out there happen to come by some Postum at the grocery store, think of me. And buy it for me. The North westerners up here don't drink the nasty stuff anyway, there's bound to be some out there!
24 comments:
I know its not the same, but they still make pero. Its does the job for me anyway. I think I would be one of those crazy coffee drinkers also. Your not a sinner
Darilyn was just telling me about the discontinuation. I had never even heard of the stuff until I met you two.
I'm laughing so hard! I have never been a fan of the stuff, but I most certainly am going to buy you some if I see it! My Grandma drinks the stuff faithfully....so no, you cannot be a sinner! P.S. Starbucks make yummy hot chocolate!
I forgot to tell you thanks for your book list! I'm so excited! I haven't read any of these and I'm always looking for a good book!
Eeeeeeyaa that reminds me of da nightmare I had last night.
My cousin brother Filbert called me and said did you hear da news.
And I said ote. And den I sed just kidding what's da news. And den he said der no longer making dat hairspray.
And den I woke up and had the besses day when I found out it was only my worstest nightmare
I am laughing so hard! The best part is I know how serious you really are about this. This makes me laugh even harder!
I will however be on the hunt for you and just maybe you'll get a nice surprise on Valentine's Day or your birthday or I don't know but I am on the hunt!
I think I have half a jar left in my cupboard that you can have. Brain says you can just soak some dirty socks in hot water. It's cheaper...
I love postum too. My blogging friend Amanda wrote a post about this. Apparently it's selling on Ebay for outrageous prices.
Could not even choke it down if I tried! I remember playing house with Nickie when we were little girls and using Postum to pretend like we were drinking coffee (naughty!). I really tried to like it, but even then I ended up sneaking out and pouring it down the sink and then acting like I drank it and really liked it!
Who knows if you remember me from book club so long ago. I was in your ward for just a year, but I just had to comment. My grandparents would drink this ALL the time. You are the only other person who had heard of this that I know of. Maybe that is why they are not making it anymore. Sorry
Jenni Allen
Shoot, your bummed about them discontinuing Postum and I'm bummed about the church discontinuing canned mashed potatoes. We just can't win!!
I want you to know that I've been morning for several weeks now. I went shopping a month or so ago, and couldn't find my friend anywhere. I checked every grocery store within a 35 mile radius, and still no Mr Postum. Uncle Mark called me a few weeks ago and said, "Marcia, you'll never guess who died!...MR Postum." I've been trying to gather my composure for sometime, and have really tried to feel some sort of comfort, but it just hasn't come. I know with time I will heal and feel better again, but in the meantime, I'm with Mel and drinking PERO with evaporated milk, and it's sort of like methodone, bringing me off slowly. This was the best blog, thank you for being so sensitive and honoring our dear friend...love ya!
Marcia, you crack me up! Thank you for sharing you Postum testimony with us! LOL!
Aundrea - you are hiliarious! I have never even heard of this stuff but today when I go to walmart I will look for some for you - I love you that much - I don't want you going through withdrawls!
I'm sorry I was the barer of bad news! The silver lining...everyone is now on the look-out for postum for you. Maybe you will end up with a lifetime supply for your food storage!
Postum was a favorite at my house growing up. I can't remember the last time I had it though. I switched to hot chocolate.
Laughing so hard at your moms comment! I will not rest until I find your family some postum! :)
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7855502
This is an article that you should read! ...It's about your dearly departed Postum. Apparently it has been known to cause cancer and reproductive problems....could this be a "Heavenly Intervention"?....My condolences on your loss.....
For all of you wondering Postum is selling for $25-$30 on ebay. Too funny!
I had a hard time finding it too, I didn't know it was because they were discontinuing it. It reminds me of being a little girl at Grandma's house! Tiffini mentioned they switched to hot chocolate - I like a little Postum in my hot choc. - it gives it an edge!
I don't know who Babes_Baldwin is, but that article you were referring to, I'm sure was just some evil propaganda. No way could that be true...if anything it cures cancer and enhances the reproductive system...if there is such a thing? The recipe for Postum was found in the Hill Camorah next to the golden plates...ask anyone. Its not Heavenly intervention, but Heavenly sent, taken away like the 10 tribes. Okay, I know this is dumb, but I've seen too many psych kids today, and it's rubbing off.
I acutally have never tried the stuff but if Hot Chocolate were taken off the shelves I would seriously go through with drawls.
Sterling LOVES Postum also! I have yet to try it but I KNOW I would be hooked because I just love stuff like that! It's a bummer that I won't be able to try it!
Oh I know many a person who is crying right there alongside you! I have been given strict orders to buy out any jars I see over pain of death. Can I relieve your pain and introduce you to the world of herbal tea? :)
Post a Comment