Tuesday, November 27, 2007

We're Baaack!

The beautiful red-rock hills in back of Kelly's mom's house

I haven't blogged in so long that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at trying to catch up. We just got back from our Arizona/Utah Thanksgiving trip. We spent the first few days in Arizona, at Kelly's Mom's new house. I'm so happy that she finally has a home of her own. Kelly spent most of his time there working out in her yard helping to finish a rock retaining wall made out of the foundation stones of his grandparent's house that was originally on that lot. It turned out looking so great (of course, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product). Kelly had so much fun driving around in the Bobcat leveling things out. He had to give all the kids a ride:) We also enjoyed seeing most of Kelly's family, the only one we missed was his oldest sister who lives in Texas.

We headed up to Utah on Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my side of the family. My grandparents reserved their church and we had most of their kids and a lot of their grand kids there. It was so nice to see everyone, especially since we live so far away and don't see them very often. My aunt and uncle brought a bunch of scooters and balls, so we had some pretty mean games of dodge ball, basketball, and the kids had races with the scooters. After we got the cultural hall back in order we headed over to my Uncle Brent's house to hang out. The boys watched football, the girls chatted, and the kids (grown-up kids too) played "Guitar Hero," we all had a blast!

We spent the remaining days at my sister's house. On Friday Mel, my mom, and I did a little shopping, I finished up for my family so I wouldn't have to mail stuff later. In the afternoon we headed to Salt Lake to see the Joseph Smith movie at the JS Memorial Building and then walk around Temple Square to see the lights. It was so busy and cold that we just wanted to get out of there. We went to "The Pantry" at the Lion House to eat afterwards. It wasn't very busy, but the line took forever since the ran out of food on the opening night of the Temple lights!! Can you believe that? Oh, I forgot to mention the fender bender we got into in Park City on our way to SLC. That might account for the impatience we were feeling with the crowds and lines. I'm grateful we have a big car and that nothing serious happened. We were following my aunt and uncle who were following my sister and her husband. A car slammed on their brakes in front of my sister who barely missed the car, my uncle slammed on his brakes who barely missed my sister and we slammed on our brakes and hit my uncle who then hit my sister. It sucks, but at least no one was hurt and we're grateful for insurance:)

Saturday, we attempted to get an extended family picture. We did outdoor shots early in the morning. It was freezing cold, so the babies were very grumpy, as were some of the adults:) Hopefully we got some shots that will work. Kelly and Riley were able to get tickets to the BYU/Utah football game and went with my uncle. My little sister Rachel and her boyfriend, Brandon watched Bronson and Hannah while the rest of us took the older kids to see "Enchanted" we really enjoyed it, although it was a bit scary to Nalani and Maika. After that we picked up some Papa Murphy's, it was definitely a pizza night!

I'm so grateful for our family. We always have a great time seeing everyone and the kids absolutely love being with their cousins! Logan was crying because she didn't want to leave, they always ask if we can move to Utah for a couple weeks after we get back:) Thanks to everyone who let us crash in their houses and eat their food! You all always take good care of us when we visit. We love you! I hope everyone else had a great Thanksgiving too!


16 comments:

sheila said...

Sorry about your car! That's a bummer. I'm glad that you guys had a nice time away. Everybody seems to have been gone this year!!

Tiffini said...

I think Utah drivers are the worst! Tim was almost in an accident last night, and since we moved in August both his brother and dad were in separate accidents.(none being their fault). I am glad nobody was hurt and sad you couldn't have made it to our museum trip. Maybe next time--sounds like you were crazy busy this trip.

Lisa said...

Looks fun! We're going out to Utah for Christmas and I wanted to take the kids to temple square but it sounds like I might not want to brave the crowd - I guess we'll see!

Autumn said...

So glad you had a happy Thanksgiving. Fun to see all your pictures! I bet you were glad to get out of Utah and our freezing weather!-- Maybe your girls are right...maybe you should move to Utah!

Michelle said...

Looks like a wonderful trip, sorry you didn't have any snow to play in! Looks like the kids were having a blast with their cousins, that's always our kids favorite part of the holidays.

Candy said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time - I love it when all the cousins get to get together - I love the noise and laughter! I'll have to check out your car - too bad

Toshia said...

you should ask my dad to tell you the story of the infamous car accident on the freeway in California that totaled the car. No one was hurt thank goodness, but we almost got stranded there. Oh and we did cause a minor backup of traffic... sorry to everyone who got stuck behind that jack-knifed semi...

Darilyn said...

What a fun time with family. Can't wait to see you soon!

Merilee said...

Wow, that was one action packed vacation! Sounds like fun ( sort of). Glad you guys are back.

Jodi said...

What a fun trip! I loved looking at all the family pictures. My favorite is the one where Bronson is walking with his Grandma. What a precious moment :)

Ps...Don't even think about moving back to Utah!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Aren't families wonderful! I am glad you had fun. Sorry about the fender bender that sticks! Temple square was a zoo wasn't it. We weren't there long before I was feeling clostriphobic. Glad your home safe.

Rochelle said...

Where is a picture of your damaged car? And pictures of Temple Square? J/K! I am so glad you had fun and thanks so much for taking Talon and Tresa.
Jeremy and I always talk about the blessings of a huge family. I think the family get togethers and Holidays would be so fun!!!

Marie said...

Sounds like a fun trip. We're going to SLC for spring break we haven't been since Caylin was 2 months old! I don't think the kids remember much.
So Kelly got a pedicure?! Good sport!

Nicole said...

Both Kelly and you have such great families so I can imagine how much fun you all had.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a good trip and had fun seeing your family!

Lisa said...

Hey Aundrea,
will you email me your address?? lsquinn2001@yahoo.com