Monday, August 25, 2008

The Mother of ALL Relays

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!
Kelly just finished the Mother of All Relays this past weekend. "Hood to Coast" spans 197 miles, starts at Mt. Hood and ends at the beach in Seaside, Oregon. Kelly's work sponsored his team which consisted of 12 people: co-workers, customers, friends, and a few strays, when people cancelled on them.

This was a huge accomplishment for Kelly. He said that it was just as exciting getting ready to run as football games used to be. He also said it was the hardest physical thing he has ever done. I think that's saying something! Especially since he used to be a college football player for BYU. I am really proud of him, and maybe I'll even be inspired to train for next year's race...stranger things have happened!
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!


Kelly's teammates gave him the nickname of "the Brown Blur". I think people were a little taken aback because he doesn't have the traditional runner's body. He's bigger and beefier than those little skinny guys in the really bad short shorts. He said that his IPod was a life saver and it helped when the Suburban stopped to hand him water, just when he wanted to walk for awhile he would see it up ahead and tell himself that he couldn't let his team see him WALKING.
Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

I think his team had a great time. They got to stop at our house and a co-workers house for meals, showers, and rest. Most teams just lay sleeping bags down in some field and hope to get some rest, all stinky and sweaty. I'm sure they had a great time visiting and joking around. He said the funniest part was at the beach and the whole team runs across the finish line. One of the girl's pants started falling down, so she was running with her hands in her pockets to keep them up. She tripped over something and couldn't catch herself and did a face plant right in the sand. To top it all off everyone saw her Grannie Panties anyway. I would've died! Kelly said she handled it pretty well, but was out of there pretty quick!

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Well, I better get training right away. It will take me a month of Sundays to work up to one mile. Who knows how long it will take me to get up to 8 miles (in a row, mind you)? Not to mention the number birthing 4 children has done on my bladder. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

Jodi said...

It looks like the guys had a great time. What a huge accomplishment! 8 miles in a row...eeekkk! I KNOW I couldn't do it...even in my fit days.

I think you would make a great addition to the team for next year. You go girl!!!

Rochelle said...

YAY! You can do it! I will cheer you on! You just need to pick a leg that is shorter!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That almost makes me want to train for something. Until I get up the nerve, I will cheer for you!!! You could totally do that! I am really feeling for that poor girl falling in the sand, that is a bummer and yet it gives me the giggles, is that bad? Way to go Kelly what an accomplishment!

Toshia said...

Good luck! My little sister tried to get me to train for it with her once...I lasted maybe a month!

Amber said...

How cool for Kelly, and good luck to you! As for the bladder thing? Um, yeah... I feel for you there...

Autumn said...

I'm with you...this sounds like so much fun, at least until I actually had to do it! Go Kelly! What a great accomplishment!

Lisa said...

Wow - go Kelly! As for you? You go girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kelly!!! I'm impressed. I feel bad for that poor girl who tripped!

Shay said...

Good job for your husband! It makes me want to put on my old nikes and try out my treadmill again. I hope the girl with the Grannie panties is ok...Do they still sell those?

Lisa said...

Your crazy, 3 miles is where I top out!

Marie said...

Good job to Kelly and Jeremy! If you are seriously thinking of doing this, I would be interested. Rosalie got me running again this summer... and about the birthing 4 kids job on the bladder - I'm with you on that! I've been doing my kegals at stoplights again!