I go through cycles of being Grinch-like. I've just come to accept this about myself. The past few weeks my temper has been gradually building. The fuel of my fire? My next-door neighbor. She is a nice enough person, but absolutely clueless in the manners department.
She runs a day-care out of her home. She has what seems to me a TON of children there. People are dropping their kids off at all hours of the day, and I think some actually have to spend the night at times. People absolutely rave about her, so she must be doing something right.
To make a long story short...she lets these kids out to play in the backyard at 7:15 every morning! One of the kids has the most annoying scream EVER and he doesn't know how to talk in a normal volume. They are always fighting over swings or slides or banging on things with a plastic baseball bat. At 7:15 AM these noises carry, and my bedroom windows don't even come close to blocking out the noise! Three or four times I've opened up my window and yelled at them to be quiet. I've even told them to go back in the house until it gets later, and they've listened to me.
You would think that my neighbor would get the hint, but they are back at it every morning. Lately I've been sleeping like crap, so 7:15 seems a lot earlier than it really is. This morning was the straw that broke the camel's back. I tried the yelling-out-the-window-route, but they just ignored me. When I couldn't get back to sleep, I got out of bed, stomped to my closet and got my sweats on, put my sleepiest look on my face, and glanced in the mirror to make sure my hair looked sufficiently messy, then continued to stomp out my front door.
My neighbor looked a little sheepish as she peeked out her cracked front door. I explained my concerns and asked if she could maybe keep the kids in the house a little longer in the morning. She agreed with me, so hopefully I'll be getting some better sleep tomorrow...I mean if we all know we shouldn't generally call people on the phone before 9am or after 9pm, we shouldn't let noisy kids bang around in the back yard during the 7 o'clock hour, unless you live out in the country and the only things you'll be waking up are the critters in the bushes!
Hopefully the Grinch inside me can go dormant for awhile now:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
You go, girl!! Good for you. I get irritated with my neighbors and their obnoxious barking dogs. But since they are never home to HEAR the poor, whiney dogs left outside all day I just have to be passive aggressive and call the police code enforcer. Oh, well! :) I hope you get to sleep in tomorrow!
She has to know that it's way too early for that! I would freak too! Good luck with your sleep tonight!
Im the worst I call people at all hours! HEHE! Im prooud of you for stomping over there, I bet your other neighbors were doing a happy dance when they saw you!
That is so annoying! I am glad you said something to her! I hope you get some sleep tomorrow.
Good for you for saying something! I feel your pain though. I have a neighbor that has been mowing his lawn at 7:00am to avoid the heat and it is LOUD! With a new baby in the house, we aren't enjoying it very much.
I about killed 2 of our neighbors dog yesterday....so I know how you feel. Luckily for them they weren't at home when I pounded on the door or they would have heard one of my hormonal rants.
You are so cool! A woman after my own heart! I was just commenting on my friends blog about a similar thing...we've officially become old!! I NEED MY SLEEP! Sometimes it is SO necessary for the Grinch to come out! P.S. I can attest to Rochelle's 'anytime' phone calls! LOL!
I wish I could tell my kids that they need to stay inside their rooms until 8am. He gets up most mornings by 6:30am:(
The beauty of no neighbors! One of our major reasons for wanting a house in the country was to get away from blaring music on Sunday afternoons. I hope you get to sleep in tomorrow!
Go you!!!! I had flash backs to having way too many roommates!
I hear thoses kids too! My rule is never out before 9:00am - I think she watches to many - that is why she lets them out so early - any way you go girl - hope you get better sleep!
You did the right thing--7:15am is not outside time. If she wants them outside that early she should take them to the park!
Some people are just clueless and unfortunately there are too many of those clueless people around. You did the right thing.
And Paige, we have the same problem with dogs by our house. They drive me insane.
You're braver than I am - I hate that kind of confrontation (even if we're both being nice)! Hopefully you'll get a little sleep now!
Way to go! I'm very proud, I don't think I would have the nerve. I hope your grumpiness pays off!!
Post a Comment