Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Taking the Time

I'm so glad that my family took the time this summer to go visit my dad in Monticello. Otherwise, my kids wouldn't have the memories of cutting wood, shooting guns, cook outs, or playing with Grandpa.

We got the news on a late Monday night, October 19th that my dad had passed away from complications of Diabetes. It came as a complete shock! Just two days after his 58th birthday.

I'm glad we all called him on his birthday...it was always a good day for him when his birthday was on the opening day of the deer hunt. I'm glad my brother, Jesse, and my sister, Rachel, were able to spend that weekend with him. I'm glad his sisters and nieces and nephews were down for the weekend. I'm glad he seemed so happy this past year. I'm glad he called and talked to us all the day after his birthday, for Maika's birthday...He told her she was the best eight year old he knew. I'm glad he thought his grand kids were pretty darn cool! I'm glad my dad taught me to love the beautiful creations of this world.

I miss my dad! But, I'm glad that we had great and some not-so-great memories. That's what family is about, getting through things and coming out loving each other in spite of it all!

In loving memory of Robert Curtis Holden. October 17, 1951--October 19, 2009.

16 comments:

Virginia said...

Very nice! So sorry you had to go through this loss. Nice tribute to your dad. Good luck with the days and years to come!

Rochelle said...

I'm so glad you were there this summer and made new memories. This is a beautiful tribute.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Oh the memories...What would we do without them. Thank you for sharing these moments with us.

mags said...

I was so sorry to hear about your dad. Your memories are beautiful, it nudges me in the direction of remembering to count the little things as the most important.

Paige said...

I'm glad that you have so many memories to pull from and to think about and remind your children of. Memories are what sustain us until we meet again!

Darilyn said...

I remember when you blogged about your trip this summer and I loved hearing about dragging your kids to cut wood and how they ended up loving being outside. At least that's what I remember! And I love that now you can look back on that time and it has even more meaning. You were so happy to be there sharing those things with your family and you are such a good example of someone who takes the time for family and truly cherishes those relationships. I can't wait to see you and give you a hug.

Kayela said...

I am so glad you made the trip this summer to see your dad (and I got to see you as well). I will miss seeing him when I go to the post office. I usually saw him 3 times a week there. Love ya lots.

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry Aundrea, I had no idea. Your tribute to him, and your comment about family in general was very very sweet and very true. That's so great you got to spend time with him this summer, what a blessing!!!

Jodi said...

I'm so happy that you were able to go and see your Dad this summer and create these special memories. This was beautifully written and such a nice tribute to your Dad.
Love you.

Morkthefied said...

I was hoping you'd post something about your dad. I don't really even know your family, but I was saddened for you and your family. Fifty-eight is too young to die. I remember when I was little thinking 60 sounded so old. My father had heart complications at 65, but he had surgery and he's doing fine now, but his brush with death helped me realize how sad it would be to lose him so young. Maybe even 100 is too young when our parents are concerned. Nothing can fill their void. Caring thoughts coming your way. -- The Fishers

Autumn said...

Beautiful tribute Aundrea. What a blessing that you took the kids to visit with him last summer! I'm so sorry for your loss. Love ya!

Shannon b said...

what a treasure that summer visit and it's memories will always be to you and your kids. I'm glad you were able to have that. :)

sheila said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to make some new memories that your kids will remember.

Shay said...

Aundrea, I am sorry about your dad. I am glad you got to spend some time with him...and I hope you are doing ok.

Shan said...

Hey Aundrea, such a nice tribute to your dad. It was so good to see all of you again. Hope all is well and life is getting back to normal. Your kids are darling!

BAja said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/6-cara-menghemat-bbm-agar-tak-boros-bahan-bakar-dan-uang