
On our recent trip to Utah for Kelly's family reunion, we took a little detour to Monticello to see my dad. While we were there,we (meaning I,) wanted my kids to experience one of my favorite childhood memories...cutting fire wood. I thought it would help my dad out too, since that is the primary source of heat for his house during the winter time.
And, just so you know, this is what my dad's house looks like during the winter! So, you can tell he probably needs quite a bit of fire wood:)

Okay, back to the nice hot summer weather! Besides cutting wood, my dad brought a few guns for us to shoot while we were there. Here is Maika. When she got the gun in her hands her arms just fell, I don't think she was expecting it to be so heavy.

Logan was all business, I think she even hit the soda can she was aiming for, after taking awhile to figure out how to see through the scope.
Bronson couldn't wait to get his hands on those guns. He didn't want to listen to Grandpa's Gun Safety Lecture, he just wanted to pull the trigger. I think he was just wanting to be like Indiana Jones:) It's hard to be a three year old and have to listen and obey...
Nalani wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with shooting the guns, but Kelly and I took our turns too. I'm still a pretty good shot, if I do say so myself!

Kelly had a go with the chain saw. I think he had a good time, too. We were cutting some huge trees that had fallen during the winter snows. All our backs were pretty sore for the next few days.

Nalani had fun riding the tree-horse we made. I used to love doing this when I was little, too!

Here's my dad with my kids. In the quakie trees. Quakies (Aspen) are my absolute favorite tree! I love hearing the wind blow through the leaves!

Logan and Maika.

Our family picture.
Thanks for indulging me Kelly and Dad! I just love the sights of the mountain on a warm summer day. I love the smells of the chain saw, the saw dust and the wood. And I love the sounds of the wind in the leaves...just takes me back to being a kid again! The only thing that could have made it better was if Grandma was there to make her ground roast beef sandwiches!
8 comments:
That looks like so much fun. It looks so green up there. Cutting wood was one of the fun times in the Blue Mts. I'm glad you got to see Kelly's family too. Love you guys....Mom
You should have married JJ. You would get plenty of firewood experiences. I am glad you had a good time and it was good to see you.
Those pictures are great. You have SUCH a beautiful family!
I have memories of cutting wood with my Dad, too! I love exposing my kids to all the fun things I did as a kid...whether they like it or not!
ahh your killing me. i so miss the blues...and wood hauling...and leaf rippling. the mountains look so beautiful, lucky we grew up there eh?
I was like Nalani, I would rather play hard then work hard. The mountains look beautiful.
Take this post, change it from quakies to Douglas Fir and that is my childhood summer. Even the horse from the limbs.
Looks like fun! I have some great memories of the Blue Mountain...it has been so long. I am glad your family got to experience it.
I love going to cut fire wood. i agree with you I love aspen trees!! Love the pictures of the kids with the gun.
Post a Comment